The diagnosis of periodontal disease involves a careful examination. At Peace Periodontics, our Dental Team will conduct a complete periodontal examination to determine the type of periodontal disease we are treating.
Despite our increased understanding of periodontal infections, the best diagnosis is through a traditional clinical exam. To arrive at a periodontal diagnosis of your condition, we will perform the following assessment:
- We will determine the presence or absence of clinical signs of inflammation (e.g., whether there is any bleeding upon instrument probing)
- We will probe the depths of your gum pockets
- We will determine the extent and pattern of loss of clinical attachment and bone
- We will go over your specific medical and dental history
- We will determine the presence (or absence) of miscellaneous signs and symptoms, including pain and/or ulceration, along with the amount of observable plaque and calculus present on your teeth.